Home » Featured » A Tale Of Two Rentals.

Once upon a time there were two identical holiday rentals, rental past and rental future.

These two properties stood, side by side, in a clearing in a forest. If you wanted to find these rentals you had to find your way through the forest.

Many people visited the forest and some wanted a place to stay.

The thing was, a “really big” giant lived in the forest and this giant controlled the forest and all who entered it.

The owner of rental past…

Holiday rental past

…did what many owners do when it came to marketing his house…

He put up a signpost!

He wanted to tell the world about his rental.

He wrote a description, came up with a catchy headline and uploaded photos of rental past.

He told people about the kitchen appliances and advertised the price for a week at Easter.

Then he made a website about all of these things.

He listed his rental with Homeaway, signed up with Flipkey and a host of other sites.

He tried Airbnb, he even gave Craigslist a shot.

He toyed with social media, he tweeted tweets, made a Facebook page and encouraged people to like his page.

Forever and ever and ever…

In short, he blended in with the other rentals past, he did what they all did  – He shouted me, me, me, me, me (a lot).

A pretty selfish outlook really – A bit like the boy who cried wolf.

The giant got bored with this and didn’t pay him any attention.

Rental past got less and less bookings.

Meanwhile…

Holiday rental future

…the owner of rental future took a look at the holiday rental market and decided that it was a waste of time trying to compete with rental past and his crowd.
The odds were overwhelming. She thought she would try a different path…

She decided to put up a lot of signposts!

She highlighted what was on in her part of the forest.

She pointed out the best places to see.

She told people about her favourite local restaurants.

She flagged what people could do in the woods around her house.

She interacted with forest visitors and helped them find their way around.

She shared the things that she and other people found in the forest.

Others shared her findings.

She had a social media strategy (The Bookings Plus 4G System).

She left a trail of breadcrumbs and a lot of footprints.

She attracted a following and was perceived as an expert.

If forest visitors needed a place to stay she told them about rental future.

In short, she stood out – She became a tour guide who happened to own a property where people could stay.

Pretty obvious really.

Rentals future got a shedload of bookings.

The moral of the story

bigstock-Beware-Of-Zombies-38068042

OK, we lied, this is no fairytale, this is a zombie horror story affecting 99% of rental owners.

Worse still, it’s a story that’s taking place right now and only has a happy ending if you own a rental future.

It’s no good putting up a lonely signpost, people won’t see the wood for the trees.

If you own a rental past, not only will you be ignored by the giant but it won’t see you and it will squash you underfoot.

Big giants are hungry creatures and need constant feeding and potential guests need to follow a path with clear directions.

Cut a clear social media path, put up signposts, leave a trail of breadcrumbs and lots of footprints and you end up with a happy giant and a lot of potential guests at your door.

Here’s the happy ending

The vacation rental marketing takeaway

At rentmoreweeks sister company bookingsplus4g.com (The Bookings University) we provide signposts, breadcrumbs and heavyweight boots (all the better for leaving big footprints) for rental owners like you.

We have spent the last 2 years developing a system that owners can use to fulfil the needs of both Google and guests.

The Bookings Plus 4G System

4Getting bookings
4Guests
4Google
4Gaining followers

incorporating our own TOURISM programme,

Totally Optimised, Unique, Relevant, Integrated, Social Media

We truly believe that this is the future of holiday rental marketing (and we have proof). We all have two clients now, Google and guests and both need looking after.

Stay tuned for more info.

That’s the good news

Here’s the bad news.

This doesn’t work if everyone does it. In fact it will only work if 1 % or so of owners do this.

And you have to work at it. Maybe up to an hour a day at the beginning, less (around 15 minutes or so) once you get used to the system.

In some ways that’s why it works. The vast majority of holiday home owners are lazy, they would rather moan about decreased bookings than work at getting more bookings. Ask yourself which group of owners you fall into. Are you a moaner? Are you a mover and a shaker?

But there is more good news.

If you are a mover and a shaker and join our Bookings Plus 4G Club then you join the rental future. Follow our examples  as we bare all in 24, easy to follow, over the shoulder videos showing you what to do, how to do it and when to do it, across the board, from soup to nuts.

If you want to distance yourself from rental past, leap rental present and become part of the rental future then sign up with The Bookings Plus 4G System now.

No one else is teaching integrated social media.

yours,

You may like to follow rentmoreweeks.com by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, that way you won’t miss a post again.

See Rent More Weeks other vacation rental marketing articles here.

26 thoughts on “A Tale Of Two Rentals.

1. Alan Egan says:

Thanks for the feedback, here’s wishing you a happy new year

2. Diane Rigby says:

Hi Alan, I’m a mover and a shaker and would like to receive more info on this please

Hello Diane,

Glad to hear it.
        You are in. I will be in touch in the beginning of February.

Regards Alan

1. susan doull says:

Rings true. Can you send more info

Hi Susan,

I’m travelling today and tomorrow but will email you later in the week.
      Have a good new years eve.

Regards Alan

2. Bob says:

Alan… you are spot on and have proven to be successful in your rental and social media strategies. Anyone who does not take advantage of your services and generous offer will certainly be at a disadvantage in marketing their vacation property! Well done and I enjoyed reading the fairy tale!

Thanks Bob,

This is the way forward for those owners that want to put in a little effort. Those that don’t will be left behind with the masses.
      It’s SEO on steroids for Google (always a good thing) and trust squared for potential guests.
      I messed around with social media for ages but now it’s possible to have integrated social media, running on automatic, across platforms. That’s where this system rocks.

3. Susan Walker says:

I’ve always liked fairy tales, especially ones that come true!! I am interested in this one.

1. Alan Egan says:

Hello Susan and thanks for leaving a message,

I’ve put you down for a free place on B+4G and will be in touch with more details later in the month.

Thanks again Alan

4. Hi Alan,

I’m interested in what more you have to say. Thanks, Celeste

Hello Celeste,

Thanks for getting in touch. I have put you down for a free place and will be in touch at the beginning of February

Thanks again Alan

5. Bennie says:

Hi Alan
    I am interested in your concept, more info please.

Hello Bennie,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I have put you down for a free place. I will be in touch with more details at the end of the month.

6. Alan…My question. Do you , will you separate we who have bed and breakfasts from the rental properties that you have listed? Will there a cost in the future? I am looking forward to all of the details

Hello Leslie,

It looks pretty cold there right now.

In answer to your questions, no, I won’t be separating B and B’s from rental properties. This type of marketing applies equally to both groups and works no matter which side of the fence you reside. As for charging, I may charge a small monthly fee at some time in the future but I intend to make no charges to the initial 50 members for at least 3 months.
      I have put you down for a free place and look forward to working with you over the next few months.

Regards Alan

7. Hi Alan, Have just read your fairy tale – I love fairy tales and happy endings. My question was the same as Lesley above. Would be interested in more details please. Pauline.

Hello Pauline,

I’m glad you like fairy tales and happy endings. As I said to Lesley, I will be treating holiday rental owners just the same as B and B owners in the B+4G system because the way in which we are going to be marketing applies equally to both groups of owners.
      I have put you down for a free place and will be in touch.

Regards Alan

8. Lynne says:

Hi Alan,
    I would love to learn more of your B&4G system. I would like to be separate from the “herd” on VRBO, etc. Lynne

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for getting in touch, I have put you down for a place and will be in touch next week.

Thanks again Alan

9. Felicity Coakley says:

Hello Alan,
    I would be very interested in learning more about making our properties stand out from the rest.
    Regards, Felicity

Hello Falicity,

Thanks for contacting me, I have put you down for a free place and have emailed you too.

Thanks again Alan

10. I have been trying to get my head around Google Plus and other types of social media but I really need to learn the technique for marketing holiday rentals. You are absolutely right that no one else is doing this. Please send me more info.

Hello Alison,

Thanks for getting in touch.
      That’s a lovely looking place you have there.

You can find out more about our Social media courses, and Google plus in particular here at,

If you need any help or have any questions at all please feel free to drop me a line.

Kind regards Alan

11. Debra Dresbach says:

Question: Will the 4G system apply to rentals in large metropolitan markets where everything is being covered or uncovered by everyone else at a lighting fire pace? Or is it more applicable to quaint villages and less populous vacation destinations? I’m in a big city. If you think there is merit, I’d love to join up.

Hello Debra,

Good question. There are two ways of looking at this method of marketing when dealing with a rental that’s in a city.
      1) It’s harder to be successful because the competition is much greater.
      2) It’s far easier because there is so much more to tell people about.

The second seems to outweigh the first, mainly because Google leans toward hyper fresh and rewards those that produce a stream of content.

The article that you read is a year old and we now have quite a few case studies that show how effective this form of marketing is.
      I can only cite one city centre property though (Helen’s http://www.platinum-apartments.com.au) but the results for these apartments has been quite staggering (see http://bookingsplus4g.com/case-studies/).

Please have a look around the bookings plus 4G website (the case studies area in particular) and feel free to drop me a line if you have any other questions.

I realise that the article you read still offered the original free places and they have long gone (I thought that I had deleted that section) but I can offer you a 30% discount if you would like to sign up.

We also have a very active private members community where owners help each other with advice, tactics and general tips and tricks.

We can Skype or have a Google hangout if that helps.

Kind regards Alan